- Sales totaled SEK 1,609 m (1,600). Adjusted for exchange-rate fluctuations and divestments, sales increased 26% compared with the year-earlier period.
- Earnings after tax amounted to SEK 1,182 m (12). Earnings per share were SEK 26.70 (0.24).
- Operating income totaled SEK 1,220 m (46).
- Adjusted* operating income rose sharply to SEK 125 m (47). The adjusted* operating margin continued to strengthen and closed at 8.3% (3.6), exceeding the Group target of 7%.
- Cash flow after investments totaled SEK 1,230 m (8). Thus, the Group has a solid financial position with a net receivable of SEK 604 m (net debt: 977).
- The divestment of the Traction Systems Division to BorgWarner Inc, a global subcontractor in the vehicle industry, was completed on January 31, 2011. The purchase consideration of SEK 1,425 m was paid in cash on a debt-free basis. The price amounts to nearly 14 times historical earnings and is considered to maximize the value for Haldex’s shareholders. The transaction generated a capital gain of SEK 1,115 m.
- As previously announced by Haldex, the Board intends to propose that the Annual General Meeting approve an ordinary dividend of SEK 3 per share for the 2010 fiscal year plus an extraordinary transfer of funds to the shareholders via a share redemption equivalent to SEK 30 per share. This corresponds to a dividend and transfer to shareholders totaling SEK 1,459 m.
- As previously announced, the Board has proposed a demerger of the Group so that instead of having shares in a single company, Haldex’s shareholders will hold shares in two separate companies. The plan is to present this motion to shareholders in conjunction with the Annual General Meeting scheduled for June 8, 2011 (published July 16, 2010).
* Excluding the Traction Systems Division, capital gains, restructuring costs, nonrecurring items and amortization of acquisition-related surplus values.
President and CEO Joakim Olsson comments on the first quarter of 2011
The first quarter saw Haldex once more deliver a strong result with an adjusted margin of 8.3% that again exceeded the Group target of 7%. The favorable demand emerging towards the close of 2010 gained strength and, combined with the new cost structure, boosted earnings.
We continued our structural programs for the Haldex Group by finalizing the divestment of the Traction Systems Division, with a capital gain of SEK 1,115 m for the quarter. The stable financial position and the disposal of Traction permit the proposed dividend and share redemption that, combined, represent a dividend and transfer to shareholders of about SEK 1.4 billion. Work to prepare the two divisions for functioning as independent listed companies is proceeding as planned.