This position is responsible for developing the Test and Homologation team, development and product maintenance test and validation. Responsibilities also include developing systems, processes and procedures for efficient verification and validation work within the team, and representing product development.
In essence the Chief Engineer – System Test and Homologation shall:
- Provide overall technical leadership for all Test and homologation activities
- Manage development and test resources including Validation, Materials and External resources
- A senior member of the Engineering Management Team
- Provide leadership to All Engineers
- Provide guidance to development of new technologies, techniques, processes
- Manage technical change to current production product
- Lead activities for researching new technologies and methods
- Ownership of the quality manual and the interface into other department’s procedures and the audits and accreditation of all the procedures.
- Lead Test Release for approval sign off for test and homologation activities, including all lab, electrical, vehicle and type approval testing.
Required skills & experience
Future duties and responsibilities include:
- Accountable for successful execution
- Drives accountability and actions for team members
- Motivates and builds a strong team
- System Test and Homologation sub process owner
- Track resource commitments within Test and homologation; monitor and publish departmental workload
- Create, track and publish departmental Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Provide development plans and perform appraisals to the Engineers
- Work with the Engineers to ensure suitable Engineering resource to handle new product development projects, including Project Leads product maintenance
- Appoint appropriate Engineering resource to resolve current model/production issues
- Monitor current model/production issues including sourcing and manufacturing concerns.
- Work with Engineers to ensure appropriate Engineering resource to resolve current model/production issues
- Identify departmental training requirements and organise training to suit
- Implement appraisal process for direct reports
- Health and Safety in the work place. Ensure correct emphasis is given, particularly in workshop and laboratory areas
- Ensure Risk assessments are reviewed
- Ensure all Product audit tests are carried out against pre agreed plan.
- Work with Engineers to ensure all Validation testing is completed in accordance with requirements.
Engineering / Technical Change
- Provide technical support to sourcing in the management of component obsolescence with suitable test resource and test plans
- Support cost reduction activities for both product and process
- Provide leadership to the production/engineering team to ensure all changes are managed correctly into production.
- Support the weekly change meeting and Manage Engineering actions appropriately
- Ensure compliance to technical specification for any deviation or change of component or process
- Identify cost reduction opportunities, establish suitable implementation plans for change and validation
- Appoint suitable Engineering resource to handle new product development projects, including Project Leads
- Ensure validation tests are carried out correctly and results reviewed and approved
- Research into latest testing methods, procedures and equipment
- Manage DVPR process and final sign off for testing, system, subsystem and component
- Review and final approval Engineering Test reports with suitable recommendations
- Review and approve all Engineering test methods and procedures
- Support all HPPM projects with Technical advice
- Take part in Project status reviews and Design Reviews
- Support the development of the product from conception through to manufacture
- Owner of the Test and homologation TS16494 Quality Procedures
- Ensure Engineering group fully understands and follows the product development process and the Haldex Project Management Model (PMM)
- Identify new processes and tools to improve the efficiency of the product development process
- Support and promote Haldex Way
- Ensure testing methods, standards and processes are updated and continuously improved.
- Prepare budget estimates for projects & for general engineering
- Business case input
- Internal procedures and processes to be recorded and up-to-date reflecting correctly the current process in operation
- Internal Standards. Ensure that these are correctly maintained and accessible
- Access to National and International Standards. Ensure that the latest version of all standards are available in line with procedure
- Perform job functions in accordance with set policies and procedures to ensure preservation of Company Quality Policy
- Prepare budget estimates for projects & for general engineering
- Manage a quick response to customer quality concerns and ensure that root causes are identified and eliminated in conjunction with the Quality department
- Five years’ experience as part of development team in supervisory capacity
- A detailed level of product knowledge and experience to enable customer credibility
and to be able to lead and guide the design of new products.
- A high level of vehicle knowledge and experience to understand customer needs for features and performance in new products.
- Experience in managing all types of test and homologation process
- Working knowledge of software development
- Working knowledge of vehicle test development
- Experience in TS16494 / ISO 9001 and ISO 4001
- People development and leadership experience is essential
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Microsoft Project Software tools
- Specialist knowledge of 8D problem-solving process
- Specialist knowledge of FMEA and DVP&R process
Experience, Education, Skills, Knowledge Requirements
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
Please attach your full CV and a covering letter with your application. This should state whether you currently have the right to work in the UK along with confirmation you meet all essential criteria for this role.
If you don't already have the legal right to work in the UK, you are still welcome to apply for this vacancy however you are strongly recommended to consult the Apply for a UK visa section of the Home Office webpages to determine your suitability for a UK visa.
Any job application you submit to us will be assessed using criteria based on the knowledge, skills, and experience required for the relevant post. You will not be treated less favorably than another applicant on the grounds of national origin.
For further information, please contact: